Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I Don't Want to be a Soloist

Last Sunday we saw "The Soloist" staring Jamie Foxx and one of my favorite actors, Robert Downey, Jr.

What a powerful movie. I thought it was almost a perfect movie. When it was over we just sat in our seats, kind of stunned.

"The Soloist" dealt with a lot of truths. Here are a couple:

- First, both characters are "soloists." i.e., they keep themselves emotionally distanced from other people. The very best thing about the movie was the friendship that emerged. Downey's character had to learn what healthy relationships are all about.

We don't have to fix each other. In fact, we can't. It took me a while to learn that lesson.

- In "The Soloist" we see homelessness up close and personal. In Foxx's character we see the co-joined twins of genius and madness, unfortunately, a fairly common occurrence.

- In "The Soloist" we see how important newspapers are. What a tragedy if they disappear!

- In "The Soloist" we see the redemptive power of music.

- In "The Soloist" we see how much we need each other.

After my husband died I thought I wanted to be a soloist - but I don't.


***