Thursday, April 9, 2009

Fun Books

I used to read books constantly. But when my husband died I couldn't read books for a couple of years. Couldn't concentrate.


After I met my boyfriend he encouraged me to read books just for fun.


What a concept.


He introduced me to mystery writer, John Sanford. His protagonist, Lucas Davenport. solves murders in the twin cities - so it's been fun to read about these places I've just learned to know since meeting my boyfriend.


This week I picked up a fun mystery by Thomas B. Cavanagh called "Head Games." The plot takes place here in my city. I know everyplace the protagonist, Mike Garrity, goes.


Arlene suggested meeting at an Irish pub in Winter Park...I knew it well. Dark wood, Guinness on tap... A crowd of mostly upwardly mobile young professionals and rich kids from nearby Rollins College.


Well, yeah. I know this place. And it has a special connection with my church.


Mike Garrity is surprised when he goes to interrogate a person who lives in Isleworth for the second time and learns he's been put on the permanent visitors list.


Have you ever been nervous about going to visit somebody in one of these super swanky neighborhoods that have sprung up in the Orlando area (like Isleworth) - and that the uniformed guard at the gate might take you to jail or something? Only to discover that you've been put on the permanent visitors list?

Woo hoo!


Garrity has been hired to find a missing member of a boy band called Boyz Klub - by the band's founder/manager and all around tyrant.


Now who does that sound like?

Of course, we all know, like Garrity, what's available on OBT or what it's like to turn the wrong way on South Street from I-4.


The coolest part of this fun book is that while Garrity is fighting the bad guys, the boy band manager, the police force where he was formerly a detective, his daughter who's in love with the missing boy band member and two ex-wives - he's also battling a malignant brain tumor.


The first lines of books always intrigue me. What do you think of this?


I have a tumor in my head. I call it Bob. Bob is the boss. He controls everything I do.

Aside from dealing with the cancer issue, this is not an important book. It's a fun book. Especially if you live in Central Florida.


Last week I read an important book. "The Gravedigger's Daughter" by Joyce Carol Oates. It was long, depressing and confusing. I'll tell you more about it after I get a little more insight from my book club members next week.





***