Monday, April 27, 2009

Jobs I Could or Couldn't Do

I know folks who are working at jobs they never thought they'd be doing - and at an older age than they thought they'd be working.

After reading an earlier posting my niece asked me if "Aunt Catfish" was the name of a person or a fish. It's a restaurant.

I could work at Aunt Catfish except for one thing. The waitstaff has to introduce themselves as "Cousin." As in Cousin Cess. I couldn't do that.

I love my supermarket and I think I could work there. Not as a cashier - too much standing in one place. But I could be a bag boy. Except for gathering about 50 carts in the parking lot and guiding them back to their space in the store. How do they do that?

The Mall: I couldn't handle being a salesperson due to the standing around part. I think I could do maintenance or be a security guard. No wait, I couldn't wear that silly uniform.

An Airline: I could work at the counter and I'd be polite and tell the truth about the flights - which means I probably wouldn't last long. I absolutely couldn't do the most boring job of all - pilot. It's sort of like being a baseball player, hours of boredom and ten minutes of excitement. But hopefully not too much excitement like Sully and crew experienced.

I couldn't do any of the jobs I did when I was a consultant. Once, about 20 years ago I had to explain to about 50 high powered managers how to train their staffs to use a new cash register. All went well. They didn't know that I'd learned to operator it myself 15 minutes prior to meeting with them when the owner told me this would be part of my presentation.

I no longer have the brainpower or the nerves for that sort of thing.


***