Monday, April 20, 2009

Pills

When I was about 40 years old my aunt used to visit from time to time. She took a lot of pills. When I saw her lay them out on the counter I'd say to myself:

When I get to the stage where I'm taking this many pills it will be almost over.

I now take a ton of pills. I hope it's not almost over.

This afternoon I filled my boxes with two weeks supply of pills. This job is so boring that I have to watch an episode of Law & Order to get through it. OK, most of them are supplements so I try to tell myself that they don't count. But I lived the first 50 years of my life without them so maybe they do. And a couple of my prescription meds are absolutely essential.

As we get older, taking medication properly becomes harder and harder. I know people who pay a caregiver just to keep the pills straight.

Taking meds keeps us alive and healthy so I guess I should be grateful that I have them, can afford them, and know how to take them. Doing it wrong accounts for many visits to the ER - and, occasionally, death.

By the way, when you're hospitalized, you can't let up. You need to be aware of every medication they give you. And why.

Yesterday my boyfriend and I engaged in another very romantic and intimate activity.

We exchanged medication lists.

***