Thursday, April 23, 2009

Isolation

Flesh and blood needs flesh and blood.

The above is a quote from a Johnny Cash song. It speaks to our need for each other. In the current news about all the ways political prisoners are tortured, isolation is right up there in the top.

In the '80s journalist Terry Anderson was kidnapped in Beirut and held for almost seven years. He's often said that the worst part was the isolation. He had to work hard at not losing his mind.

There were times in my life when I felt profoundly lonely. That could happen again because as we get older and less mobile we sometimes find ourselves isolated.

A few years ago I visited an old roommate from the time prior to my marriage. I remembered her as a sharp as a tack career woman.

After retirement she moved back to her home town and became a part of a very conservative religious movement. One that does not allow much contact with the outside world. No TV, movies, secular books, etc.

She lives alone and her only socialization is with church members a couple of times a week.

I could see instantly that dementia had set in. When I saw her lifestyle I wasn't surprised.

I'm happy that people who've been laid off their jobs are no longer hiding at home. We've read stories of people going on Facebook to share the news as they're walking out the door. I think this is healthy.

But here's what scares me.

A huge number of our prisoners in this country are kept in solitary confinement for long periods of time. Years even. It's cruel and permanently debilitating.

Even if you don't have sympathy for these people you have to be concerned about how they function in society after they're released.

Mother nature's quite a lady, but you're the one I need.
Flesh and blood needs flesh and blood, and you're the one I need.


***