Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Artist





Dave and I saw "The Artist" last Sunday.  It's up for an Academy Award and a ton of other awards.  But I didn't like it.  However I'm pretty much alone in this.  One of my favorite sites to read movie reviews is "Rotten Tomatoes."  The reviewers there can be truly tough on movies they don't like.  Here's how they summed up "The Artist."

A crowd pleasing tribute to the magic of silent cinema.  The Artist is a clever, joyous film with delightful performances and visual style to spare.

Yes, it was all this - but I didn't like it.

It's a silent French movie in black and white paying tribute to the best of silent movies and movie stars.  The actors are wonderful, including the dog.  Dave enjoyed every minute of it.

I didn't like it.

Yes, it had its moments.  The tiny bit of sound in the middle is clever.  The tap dancing, which, from the previews, I thought would be pervasive, was good - but there was very little of it.

Did I mention that it's silent and in black and white?

I would far rather have seen "Singin' in the Rain" for about the 8th time.  It's my all time favorite movie tribute to silent movies. 


***