Monday, January 30, 2012

The Happiness Project

Over the holidays Dave's daughter suggested that I read "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.  I wasn't sure.   As some of you know, I did not like "Eat, Pray, Love" which was about a wealthy, beautiful woman trying to find happiness by traveling all over the world. 

Oh brother!

But "The Happiness Project" isn't superficial or selfish.  It's about finding happiness all around us - most especially by helping other folks be happy.

So....when I knew I was scheduled to teach an Oldies Sunday school class I decided to use this book along with the Sermon on the Mount as the basis for our discussion. 

Now these are not the beautiful, jet setting folks who are traveling all over the place looking for the big romance.  They ARE beautiful - but in various and different ways.

They're all older than I am.  Most of them have experienced serious loss.  Many of them are in declining health.

After reading aloud a letter I'd received from an old lady who is most unhappy - I asked the class "What Makes You Happy?"

The responses warmed my heart.  One man told us about moving to Assisted Living with his wife six months ago.  They're both 86 years old.  He's been through horrendous health issues.  He talked about kindnesses they'd received and kindness they'd given - he especially complimented his wife for reaching out to other residents. 

This man ended by telling us about a few folks in their new home who are over 100 years old and really sharp.  He wrapped up by saying, "Naturally the residents in their 90s are sharp!"

As the Be-Attitudes that begin the Sermon on the Mount tell us - attitude is everything.


***