Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sometimes the Old Ways Are Best


I prepared a really good dinner last night - if I do say so myself.  Very old school.  I roasted a chicken with potatoes, celery, onions and carrots.  The whole place smelled yummy all afternoon while it was baking in the oven.

But the best part of the meal, for me, was the green beans.  Remember how your grandma made them?  She picked them, strung them, broke them up and put them in a big pot with "half back," onions and, sometimes, potatoes. And she cooked them all afternoon.

And then a few years ago we were told that the only proper way to prepare green beans was to put them in the microwave for about 2 minutes, till they were "crisp tender," then add a little lemon juice and pepper.  I did that.  But then I stopped eating green beans.

Yesterday I opened a large can of beans, rinsed them in cold water, put them in a big pot with a few pieces of ham, about a half cup of chicken bullion, a teaspoon of sugar and a little pepper.  Then added water from the tap and cooked them.  All afternoon.


Everybody loved them.  We just now finished up the left overs. Yum.


***