Saturday, February 4, 2012

Aqua Zumba

In the last few months a couple of my friends at the gym have tried to get me to do Aqua Zumba with them.  Each time I've said "No thanks."  For years I about killed myself every other day doing aerobics (land and water) and running.  Now I'm retired.  No spinning and no Aqua Zumba!

To make my point, a few months ago, in the New Yorker, there was a cartoon of some newcomers in hell being forced to do Aqua Zumba.  'Nough said!

But......a couple of weeks ago we were visiting a friend in her exquisite condo in south Florida.  As Dave and I came up from the beach there were a dozen or so women bobbing up and down in the pool pictured above.  On the edge was a beautiful young woman leading an Aqua Zumba class.  She smiled at me and said "why don't you join us?" 

I immediately slid right into the heated pool.  It was an hour of musical fun.  I loved it.  Also a great workout.  And, you know, with just your head exposed, nobody else knows how hard  you're actually working in that water.


***