Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I Married Myself

Opposites attract.  When I was young I married a man very different from myself.  We complimented each other in many ways.  As I used to say to folks in relationship seminars, "If we did only the things I want to do we wouldn't have any fun.  If we did only the things he wants to do we'd be in jail."

This kind of relationship works pretty well for most folks as long as we don't forget why we fell in love in the first place.  (Remember the Broadway play, "I Love You, You're Perfect:  Now Change!")

As you know, Dave and I married very late in life.  A whole new ballgame. 

Yesterday we were sitting on the couch in our p j's reading the paper when I noticed the big school clock on the wall wasn't working.  So I got out my little stool, climbed up on it and began to wrestle the clock down.  Dave said, "What are you doing?  I'll do that.  That's my job!"

Then to make matters worse, when we later went to the crowded Olive Garden for soup and salad and couldn't find a close parking place, Dave said "I'll drop you off so you won't have to walk!"

WHAT?????

Here's the issue.  Dave and I each had distinct roles in our long happy first marriages.  That's a good thing.  But the problem is, we had the same role.  I was the one who repaired things around the house.  I was the one who dropped others off and then parked the car. 

I'm sure we'll work it out.  I just have to deal with the fact that, this time, in many ways,  I married myself.

No wonder I love him so much.


***