Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Eames Chair Saga

The Eames Chair, properly called the Eames Lounge, was released in 1956 by designers Charles and Ray Eames.  Designed for a high end market, they were (and are) prized by architects. 

Dave scraped up the money to buy his Eames Chair in 1969.  It's a work of art.  Most folks who come to the condo don't know what it is but those who do - drool.  Needless to say, Dave loves his chair - and has loved it for 43 years.  That's about 39 years longer than he's loved me.

A week ago Sunday I was sitting in the Eames enjoying my hot tea and the Sunday paper when I heard a big CREAK!  It was cold outside and warm inside so I thought one of the sun room windows had shattered.  I got up and investigated but they were fine.

So I got back all snuggled up in my chair when, along with another CREAK, I was flung over onto the floor.  And on the floor with me was half of the Eames Chair. 

I called Dave who was still asleep to help me get untangled.  He was sweet, loving and gentle getting me up and checking for injuries.

But within 10 minutes he was on the computer investigating what to do about the chair.  It won't be an easy (or cheap) fix.  Yes, the Eames was badly injured.  This is how it looks today.  


Yes, we're still married.


***