Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Back Home Again in Minnesota

Just arrived at David's house after a fast (for us) 3 1/2 day cross country trip.

Here are a couple of highlights:

  • We left early on Sunday morning so this is the second Sunday in a row I've missed church.  The Sunday before that (Easter) we were flying home from Los Angeles.  I'm almost always in church on Sunday, no matter where in the world I am.  But this past Sunday we drove over 500 miles.  Fortunately the hotel outside Dalton, Georgia where we stopped had a jacuzzi in the room.  So I got relaxed and had a kind of spiritual experience. 

  • Monday night we stayed in Columbus, Indiana.  As you know, Dave loves this town of 39,000 folks just South of Indianapolis.  Many years ago Cummings Engine, located there, paid for world famous architects to design many of it's structures.  So fire stations, other government buildings, churches and so on are over-the-top beautiful.  We stayed at the beautiful Holiday Inn.  As you know, I love hotels/motels.  Especially lobbies and also free breakfast.  But the next morning we drove into Indianapolis to have breakfast with my brother and his wife.  I love them.  I wanted to cry when I saw them.  We ate at "Bob Evans."  The waitress was perfect.  She called me darlin' several times.  When I asked for honey she pointed to it on the table and said, "I got ya covered, sweet pea." 

  • Last night we stayed in Janesville, Wisconsin.  It took us a while to decide how to skirt around Chicago but nothing's more hectic than driving through Chicago. 

  • It was in the 90s when we left Orlando.  Last night it was in the 30s.  And we lost an hour.  I'm confused.

Now here we are at Dave's beautiful house.  Pending the inspection tomorrow it will be sold and we must pack up and get out.  47 years of memories must be dealt with.  I'm sorry I missed those two Sundays in church because I could use the spiritual insight to help Dave through this.


***