Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Happy Hubert Day

If he were alive, Hubert Horatio Humphrey would turn 100 years old this month.  He started in politics as mayor of Minneapolis but I became aware of him later on when he became a U.S. senator and then vice president under Lyndon Johnson.  I liked and admired HHH - LBJ, not so much.

Hubert was a big civil rights person before it was popular or safe.  So was I. 

He was a happy, upbeat guy.  His favorite phrase was "pleased as punch."  But he was outspoken about his views and made many enemies.  A line in one of this speeches became known as "the liberals' mantra."

It was once said that the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped..

I never thought of it as "the liberals' mantra."  I thought of it as the teachings of Jesus.


***