Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Plane Pals

I just spent five fantastic, non stop action days with my Atlanta family.  They are yummy.

On the flight down I was upgraded to first class due to an overcrowding situation.  It's not a big deal for me because I don't need a wide seat and, with a two hour flight, there aren't many other perks to be offered. I drank water.  That's it.

But I had quite a conversation with my seat mate.  Actually, I just listened.

By the way, I always double check first class passengers when I walk through their elevated atmosphere to check for celebs, either entertainment or political, or both.  Like, say, if I'd seen Arnold I'd probably have slapped him.  Although I sorta doubt that he rides commercial.

About ten minutes into a conversation with the guy sitting next to me I was not envying his status in any way.  In the last four years he's lost his father, then the family business, then his wife and four kids.   It was just another reminder of what this recession has heaped on folks.  I'm not saying it caused all of his problems, but it helped them along.

On the trip home yesterday, while sitting with the other regular folks,  I talked with a lovely young African American woman.  She was returning from her younger sister's graduation from Spelman College.  Spelman is an old, (1881) highly prestigious, traditionally African American women's college in Atlanta.   I said, "Oh, you must have seen Michelle Obama give the commencement speech."  She had.  Also, Phyllis Rashad and Debbie Allen were given honorary degrees. 

Talk about seeing fantastic political and entertainment celebs!

By the way, I never bug my seat mates.  I occasionally ask one question - and the conversation starts (or doesn't) from there.


***