Friday, January 28, 2011

RED

I have a reputation for not being spontaneous. But yesterday afternoon, when Dave said "Let's jump in the car right now and go to the movies," I said "OK."

We saw RED. This is an acronym for Retired - but Extremely Dangerous.

The film is totally and completely silly. The cast is glorious.

What fun to see some of our favorite elderly movie stars as cold blooded C.I.A. assassins.

Bruce Willis, age 56, stars. He could do this movie in his sleep. His love interest: Mary Louise Parker, age 46.

John Malkovich, age 58 is hysterically funny. Morgan Freeman, age 73, plays a man 80 years old. He gets to wear a great turquoise and gold outfit. I'm guessing that's why he took the part.

Richard Dryfus, age 64, is evil. But he's never looked better. (My son used to call him "the Rat Man.")

Helen Mirrin, age 66 is a cold blooded killer and loves her work. Her lover, whom she shot three times (but he forgave her because it was all in the line of duty) is played by Brian Cox, age 65.

Ernest Borgnine, age 94, is the record keeper.

We didn't go on 75 cent Tuesday so had to pay the big money: $1.25. But it was worth it.

I wonder if people ever think of me as Retired - but Extremely Dangerous.


***