Sunday, January 23, 2011

Challenger Anniversary



Hard to believe we're coming up on the 25th anniversary of the space shuttle Challenger tragedy.


Seven astronauts died, including teacher Christa McAuliffe, when the space shuttle blew up 73 seconds after takeoff.


I was living on the space coast at the time so the events were sered into my brain. But most everybody in Florida and in the country over the age of 40 remembers where they were and what they were doing when it happened.


I was on my way to the Chamber of Commerce in Melbourne when I heard it on the radio. I pulled into a parking lot, got out of the car and looked at the sky.


It was a mess.


I got back in the car. The announcer wasn't sure about if or when the astronauts died but, after looking at the sky, I knew. I sat in the car and prayed that they died instantly - with no suffering.


A few months later I was invited to do some consulting at a sub contracting company at the space center. It was a privilege but also stressful and hard. Because those left behind were still suffering in all kinds of ways from space shuttle Challenger tragedy.



***