Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Painted Houses

Several times a week I drive by a house I really like. It's very architectural. Sharp lines. It's painted a deep mustard color. The trim is dark green. Oh yeah, it also has red doors. Sounds strange but it works. It's especially striking at Christmas time when they put poinsettias everywhere.

Then the traditional house right next door was painted a baby blue with white trim. It, too, is attractive. But, of course, they clash. It's like eating pickles and ice cream. They're both good, but come on.

Now the art deco house directly across the street has been painted a bright Easter egg yellow. With white trim. I'd be ashamed to tell you how I described it to Dave but it involved a description of food poisoning.

Don't these neighbors know each other? Don't they look at each other's houses? Don't they care about us?

I wonder what's next.


***