Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Academy Awards



The Academy Award nominations came out today. I applaud their choices.

Here are the top ten movies:

The King's Speech - a wonderful movie. But for those of you who love car chases - you're out of luck. It's slow and sweet. And a real life story of someone overcoming circumstances in order to make a difference in the world. The only reason this movie has an R rating is because the future king adopts a potty mouth as part of his therapy. I love Colin Firth.

True Grit - A wonderful, gritty, classic western. Far more realistic than the cartoony John Wayne version. This one is true to the book. I love Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon.

The Black Swan - Scary, tense, suspenseful with periods of beautiful dancing. If you see this movie you'll never want to be a ballerina. This movie deserves its R rating. It's not called a physio/sexual thriller for nothing. I love Natalie Portman.


The Kids Are All Right - If you're offended by homosexuality don't see it. Otherwise, it's a funny, romantic movie about family members trying to resolve issues. I love Annette Bening.

The Social Network - I reviewed on October 9th.


Inception - I reviewed on August 10th.


Toy Story 3 - It's cute, sweet and beautifully filmed - but I'm just not a fan of animation.


127 Hours - I don't want to see it because it's about that guy who's hiking and has to chop off his arm. But I'm sure it's about the triumph of the human spirit.

The Fighter - This is the next film on our list. I've heard nothing but good things about it - even from those like me who don't like fighting.


Winter's Bone - Haven't seen it and it's gone now. But maybe it will come back since it made the list.












***