Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I Remember Nothing

I went to my book club this afternoon. We discussed Nora Ephron's "I Remember Nothing." I was the only one who liked it. I didn't disagree with some of their comments. The book is light and probably a compilation of previously written columns and articles. The book club ladies where thinking that since her most recent book prior to this "I Feel Bad About My Neck," did so well, she probably threw this one together.

Come on, she's Nora Ephron. One of the finest writers around and part of a writing legacy.

The book is light but I found some meaning in most every chapter. The first one, specifically about memory, made me feel really good. I could relate.

By the way Nora, was the man you met at the party who had a neurological disorder and couldn't remember faces Oliver Sacks?

I love the chapter "My Life as an Heiress." (Even though I'd read it previously in the New Yorker.) Ephron gives us the three stages of inherited wealth: Glee, Sloth and Dissension.

I love the chapter "My Life as a Meat Loaf. Ephron is a cook. (After all, she wrote and directed "Julie and Julia.") Her friend opened a swanky restaurant and named the meat loaf after her. Nora's Meat Loaf. What an honor. But it wasn't her recipe in the first place, (she uses Lipton's soup mix and a gourmet restaurant would never do that) and, after chef changes, etc. it became unrecognizable and then was discontinued.

A lot of life is like that.

In the back she has a list of things she won't miss when she dies. The last one is "taking makeup off every night." I'm now compiling my own lists of things I'll miss and things I won't miss. My first list is longer.

As I said, the book made me think and is very smart and funny. My book club ladies are smart and funny too but they didn't like the book.


***