Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cookbook

Just before Christmas my church put out a cookbook. Most church cookbooks are good because folks want their best recipes included.

But this one's exceptional. For one thing we have well known chefs and caterers in the congregation. There's even a pro section call "Celebrity Chef." In it there's the recipe for Bacon, Date and Chorizo Tapas that's served at the Imperial Wine Bar. And it doesn't look hard to make.

I love seeing my friend's recipes. When my friend, Gil, retired a few years ago he spent the following couple of years making desserts for various groups. Some of his favorites are in there, including his Lemonade Cookies.

A few years ago I became acquainted with Coke Cola Cake. Oh my gosh, it's to die for. The recipe's in the book.

The one that intrigues me the most is for Perfect Prime Rib. I've never attempted prime rib. It's way too expensive to risk messing up. But Tom, the man who entered the recipe, says it's easy. It looks easy. But at one point you have to turn off the oven and "DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR" for two hours.

Don't know if I could be that brave. I might have to call Tom and have him talk me through it.

Polly has many Asian recipes in the book. She really knows her stuff. Her Kung Pao Chicken recipe looks totally yummy.

There are several recipes for Tortilla Soup and Taco Soup. It must be popular. I've never tried these soups.

John Rivers, owner and executive chef of 4R Smokehouse, a popular (by that I mean the line goes around the block) restaurant has been very generous to the church over the years. More than once he's prepared fantastic meals for over a thousand people for church celebrations.

His recipes are in the book.

Here's a menu suggestion for you:

Creamy Spring Asparagus Soup
Perfect Prime Rib and/or Miss Sally's Crawfish Pie
Potato Fennel Gratin
Radish and Cucumber Salad
Roasted Pears With Blue Cheese and Walnuts

As you must realize, I've read the book from cover to cover. Don't know if I'll actually make any of the recipes - but I certainly hope I get to eat some. Especially that Coke Cola cake.


***