Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Road Less Traveled.
























Years ago I was asked to research and write an article on recreational vehicles, motor homes or, more specifically, Airstream Trailers.

I was amazed to learn that Airstreams enjoy an almost cult-like following.

It seems that many new retirees buy an RV (Airstreams are in a class of their own) and travel the country for two or three years before settling into a normal retirement. One in every 12 American households owns a recreational vehicle.

I don't get it!

And then a year or so ago my good friends, people I admire and respect, bought a motor home. They're a pretty sophisticated couple. Well traveled. She's one of my Power Rangers, a Creative - with a big C.

He's an engineer. Not two people I would ordinarily put in the same room together for very long but they've made it work and have had a long happy marriage. They also have two lovely homes.

So I was more than surprised when they bought this thing - and then astounded when they announced they were going on a long, cross country trip.

They were gone for weeks, and weeks. No word except for an occasional e-mail when she dashed into a library if they happened to be in a state that had them.

I wondered if they would still be married when they came home. Or if maybe just one of them would come home.

Oh, I forgot to mention they have a little short, fat dog that weighs about 80 pounds.

But, to my surprise they all three loved the experience. Came home and bought a larger RV for the next big adventures.

One practical thing they announced that I could relate to: She said that if the recession got much worse they could plant their RV in the Wal-Mart parking lot and live in it.

Now that makes sense to me.


***