Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Leonard Says It Better Than I Can

I'm a writer. Occasionally a good one. But there are subjects about which I feel strongly but for which I just don't have the words.

Sometimes I just want to say "Stupid, stupid, stupid."

Perhaps you've heard of this company that inscribes coded references to Bible verses on gun sights of high-powered rifles they supply to U.S. service personnel.

Yes, I have strong feelings about this but haven't been able to articulate them without the top of my head exploding. Not to mention that I'm sure there are several people whom I love who don't feel the way I do.

And then yesterday's column by syndicated columnist, Leonard Pitts, said exactly what I wanted to say - and said it much better than I could have.

A couple of quotes:

...(it) is a fresh embarrassment for the United States, which has labored for nine years to convince the Muslim world that it is not leading a Christian crusade against Islam.

...The coded scriptural references provided a recruiting tool to warlords and terrorists who could truthfully tell followers they were being shot at by Jesus guns.

...there is a rather jarring cognitive disconnect involved in seeing weapons of war used to lionize the prince of peace.

If you're interested in reading the column try orlandosentinal.com or lpitts@miamiherald.com

In the meantime my head won't have to explode. But I'd like to think that if it did, scripture would emerge. Because, unlike gun barrels, my head IS an appropriate place for storage.


***