Saturday, January 16, 2010

Heros

We've all been sick at heart reading about the devastation in Haiti this week. It's overwhelming.

I've never been to Haiti but my (first) husband and one of my sons have been there on mission trips. We are all aware that, even prior to the earthquake, it was the most miserable place in the hemisphere in terms of human suffering and poverty.

But I've been heartened by the current disaster response from all over the world. I'm not surprised but I'm heartened. Because we human beings are called to respond to tragedy. And many of us heed the call.

Within 24 hours four hundred doctors flew out of New York to Haiti.

In this morning's paper I read about a young nurse who lives close to me who flew to Haiti with a medical team and medical supplies they'd purchased themselves.

On another note, I visited a Sunday school class last week where people are being heroic in the ways they're helping a couple who are experiencing their own tragedy.

I don't ever have to look far to see people performing miracles.


***