Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Churches and Bars

Remember when the sitcom "Cheers" was on and everybody was comparing it to what church should be?

...people are all the same. I wanna go where everybody knows my name.

When Dave and I were on our honeymoon at the River Street Inn in Savannah last week we were invited to have wine and appetizers (for free) each evening at 6:00 P.M. It was fun. A nice, cozy bar atmosphere with small tables and comfy chairs.

Instead of sitting alone we walked right up to others and said "May we join you?" They always said yes.

Most everybody we met was headed to Florida. One couple lives pretty close to me. The woman is a hand therapist and gave me the name of a doctor who may be able to help me.

Another couple (older than us) told us in the first five minutes that they weren't married and then told us the reasons. Grown children sometimes make it very difficult when their (elderly) widowed parents fall in love.

We met such interesting people, from professors to radio talk show hosts. Dave is great at asking questions and then actually listening to the answers.

How did we learn to be so forward as to make friends with perfect strangers?

I don't know about Dave but I learned in church!


***