Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Piano Teacher

One of my aunts, a woman I really loved, hated Asians. When I became a young woman I confronted her about this. But she reminded me of the terrible things that happened to her brothers (my uncles) in World War II and said she'd never get over it.

I tried to explain that a third of the world is Asian and that war brought out the worst in many people, no matter their race. But she wasn't swayed and died with this terrible prejudice.

And now I've just finished reading "The Piano Teacher" by Janice Y. K. Lee. I like books that teach me something as long as it's not too painful.

This one wasn't exactly painless because it takes place in Hong Kong prior, during and after World War II. A very painful time and place.

This New York Times bestseller is presented as a love story - but it's so much more. We see the brutality of race and class warfare and the kind of harsh reality this brings during times of real war.

It was given to me for Christmas. It's taken a while to finish because I've been reading other books as well and, of course, I've had other things on my mind.

Like getting married!!!

It has almost nothing to do with teaching the piano. It has much to do with human behavior when the East meets the West. It's sad and brutal. I loved it. I wish my aunt could have read it.

And, yes, it's a love story.


***