Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The House of Salt

Years ago when my husband was suffering with several illnesses including dementia he would occasionally tell me that he wanted to go to one of his favorite restaurants. But he couldn't tell me the name. I would tease him by saying, Oh you want to go to "The House of Salt."

Is it wrong to tease a person with dementia?

Anyway, he would laugh because he knew that I knew he wanted to go to Red Lobster. That's what I called it, The House of Salt.

This morning's paper has an article titled "Report Blasts Red Lobster, Olive Garden for Salty Food." Darden Restaurants serve salt laden food? Really?

Is it wrong to tease a restaurant chain in this economy?

The article went on the say, and I quote: Who knows how many Americans have been pushed permaturely into their graves thanks to sodium levels like those found in Olive Garden...

In my opinion Red Lobster, Olive Garden and Bahama Breeze serve delicious food in a nice atmosphere at a moderate price. I love eating at all three of these places. There is a Longhorn's Steakhouse close to me but I don't eat red meat so I've never been there.

I watch my salt intake. Likewise when I go to McDonald's (Yummy) I watch my calorie intake.

It's no secret that Red Lobster pours on the salt. Their baked potatoes are encrusted in it. The cheese biscuits are sparkling with it. I appreciate having the freedom to decide what to order.

One of my kids gave me a Darden Restaurants gift certificate for Mother's Day. I can assure you I will use it.

Unless the salt police have shut them down.

***