Sunday, May 24, 2009

GPS Crisis

Apparently the GPS signals are deteriorating because the satellite has gone kafluey. Without an upgrade we may all have to stay home for the unforeseeable future.

What a minute! My 2000 Camry didn't come with a Global Positioning System. When I'm trying to find a new address I have to resort to asking directions or use the dreaded Map Quest which doesn't always know what it's talking about.

Of course I understand that there's a little more going on here than my personal needs.

A couple of years ago I took a car service from the home I was visiting to the Atlanta Airport. The middle eastern driver had been in this country only seven months. How could he drive for a car service in Atlanta - one of the craziest driving cities in the world?

He bought himself a GPS for $700 and was hired. And he got me to the airport just fine.

But, as for me, even if they get the satellite fixed, which they will, I doubt that I'll have a GPS anytime soon.

I'll just continue to allow a little time to get lost.


***