Sunday, May 17, 2009

Does Tragedy Ever Change Us For the Good?




A couple of weeks ago I started reading the book, "The Hour I First Believed" by Wally Lamb. Now I'm reading "Maybe a Miracle" by Brian Strause.

Very, very different books.

But they have this in common: In Wally Lamb's book a couple, both from very dysfunctional families and subsequently both making huge painful mistakes as adults, find themselves reeling from the tragedy of the Columbine experience. He was a teacher at the school, she was a nurse.

In Brian Strause's book, an 18 year old boy, living in a very dysfunctional family, has to deal with the near drowning of his little sister in the family pool.

I haven't finished either of the books. I'm on the way with Strause's book. Wally Lamb's book will have to wait for a couple of weeks.

I'm hoping that both families fine redemption in their separate and very different tragedies. I'd like to be reminded that this is possible.




***