Saturday, January 3, 2009

Two More Weather Stories

My boyfriend and I drove to Milwaukee on the Saturday before Christmas. When we arrived downtown we saw parked cars completely covered by snow.

I guess people have to take shovels to work with them so they can plow their way out of their parking spots.

We parked our car at the hotel garage and asked at the desk about getting to a restaurant. It was way too cold (below zero) and the snow was way too deep to walk. A shuttle took us a couple of blocks to an Irish pub. I was thinking (again) that NOBODY would be out on a night like this.

But when we walked in it was full of happy customers. We had a grand time watching the crowd on one side and looking out the window at the snow fall on the other. It was magical.

The next morning we learned that all of the church services in Milwaukee were cancelled due to the blizzard. (In Milwaukee?)

***

On the day before Christmas eve I was stranded in Chicago's O'Hare Airport, along with hundreds of other travelers, watching it snow on the runway - for nine hours.

I talked with scores of people. All of them wanted to get home for Christmas. But all of them were in good spirits. People were giving up their seats in the waiting areas and others were sharing tables in restaurants. One young man I had a sandwich with told me he would be home for Christmas in West Virginia even if he had to hitch a ride on an 18 wheeler.

I finally arrived at my destination late that night. I hope everybody else made it home for the holidays.


***