Thursday, January 15, 2009

Christian Clothing

When we were out and about today we saw an advertisement for Christian Clothing. It made me nervous.

I'm not talking about the companies that make cool Christian T-shirts and jewelry. I'm talking about the movement to have women and girls dress "appropriately."

(I'd hate to see Sarah Palin have to give up her bare legs and spiky heels.)

There are companies that make "Christian" wedding dresses and formal wear. It generally means that neck, arms and legs are covered. It's fine for people who want to do this but it gets a little scary when church leaders (men) decide what's "Christian" and what's not when it comes to women's clothing.

The word "Burka" keeps popping in my head.

Will Azar Nafisi someday write a book called "Reading Lolita in Spokane?"


***