Monday, January 19, 2009

Today and Tomorrow


Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. As Coretta Scott King said, "It's not a black holiday but a people's holiday."

We've all benefiting from Dr. King's dream. Tomorrow's inauguration of Barack Obama will be a confirmation of it.

I'm proud of having played a small part, along with my husband and many others, in the civil rights movement all those long years ago. Even, many years later, after my husband became ill, we proudly marched in the MLK, Jr. parade in our city. The last year he was able to do it I pushed him in his wheelchair.

Except when we went by a special group of people. Then he got up and pushed it himself.

Above is a picture of my husband and a a very young Julian Bond, during the time he (Bond) was a social activist and leader of the civil rights movement.


***