Monday, January 26, 2009

An' Live Off the Fat of the Land

My boyfriend loves the quote from "Of Mice and Men" where Lennie's asking George to tell him again how life is going to get better:

'An we'll live off the fat of the land and have rabbits.

So I'm reminding you today that things will get better, that we're going to get through this hard time. We will, once again, live off the fat of the land and have rabbits.

Yesterday I heard my son speak to a group of people, using the book "How to Survive the Economic Meltdown" by Patrick Morley as his guide. Morley reminds us that it's important that we not isolate ourselves. It used to be humiliating to contemplate losing our jobs but now we're all in the same boat. We need to be with other people and hear a word of hope every day.

Last night I turned off "60 Minutes" and today I turned off CNN - because they was just too depressing.

George Steinbeck titled his book quoting Scottish poet, Robert Burns.

The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry.

It's true - and they have.

But the time will come again when we will once more...live off the fat of the land and have rabbits.

I'm sure of it.


***