Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still

I loved this 1951 movie - staring Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal - about an alien arriving in Washington D.C. in one of those comical flying saucers. Rennie, playing a very kind and gentle space being named Klaatu, was sent to earth by an intergalactic council to tell us humans to get a clue regarding our war like ways or we are all gonna be toast.

Naturally, the rest of this sweet quiet movie was spent showing Klaatu being sweet and quiet with Patricia Neal and her adorable little boy while we earthlings tried to kill him. However, his gigantic sidekick and enforcer, Gort, held us at bay.

As I said, I loved this movie so it was with a little trepidation that I ventured out with my boyfriend into the sub zero weather to see the multi million dollar remake staring Keanu Reeves in the Michael Rennie part and Jennifer Connelly playing an entirely different part from Patricia Neal.

But I liked it.

Reeves' character's name is still Klaatu but he could very well have used his other creature from outer space name, Keanu. Of course the 2008 style special effects are way over the top. The story is similar but not quite the same. Of course, we humans are still made to look like violent idiots but the alien has come, not to address our lack of peace in the universe issues but more to address our lack of paying attention to the environment, i.e., Al Goreish issues. Apparently we have the ability to polute the universe.

Yes, he's bought along Gort to subdue us but it doesn't keep us from refusing to listen to his message and, instead, trying to blow him up.

Look for Monty Python's John Cleese, in a small but representational role. (Representing the few of us humans who actually DO have a clue.)

I had a couple of problems with the new movie. First, in the original, Klaatu actually did make the earth stand still. Hence the name. This didn't happen quite the same way in this version. Second, I didn't get what the whole first part of the movie was about. The part that takes place in the artic. If you understand it, let me know.

My boyfriend tells me that I liked Klaatu because he's a Christlike figure.

Could be.

***