Saturday, December 6, 2008

Age Has It's Privilege

I'm a creature of habit. Every Saturday morning I have breakfast with my Oldies. But the situation gets complicated because of the constant celebrations on the street.

There are art shows and car shows and any number of events that require blocking off the street. This morning it was the Christmas parade.

I arrived early knowing parking would be a nightmare. By the time my Oldies arrived the line for coffee and breakfast was out the door. I told Mr. Oldie that I'd wait in his place while they guarded our table. But he went right up to the cashier and placed his order. The hoards of customers standing in line didn't seem to mind a bit. Most of them smiled.

Later, when it was time for Mrs. Oldie's hair appointment, I worried about how they'd get across the street. The parade had started. By the way, this is the longest parade imaginable. Hours and hours. It's delightful but it's extremely inconvenient if you have business on the other side of the avenue.

Hundreds of people lined the parade route. Police, both on foot and on horses, controlled the crowd. Mr. Oldie, with Mrs. Oldie in his one hand and her purse in his other, told the policewoman in front of Panera's they needed to cross.

She stopped the parade!


***