Sunday, October 26, 2008

Oldies and Birthdays

Birthday season is beginning. There are an unusually large number of birthdays in the fall and, especially, in December.

My birthday is in December and it's a special one.

This morning we had birthday cake and coffee in my Sunday school class because Mrs. Oldie, looking beautiful, will be 89 years old this week. Her son and wife are visiting from across the country. They've celebrated her birthday almost every day since they've been here. A smart thing to do. Today they treated all of us.

Yesterday Mrs. Oldie looked even better because when we met them at Panera's for breakfast, she was wearing her Chanel suit because she thought it was Sunday. A nice contrast to the sweaty runners and the usual early morning crowd.

Even though I express a little frustration occasionally, there are no words to explain how much I love my oldies.

They are fragile now but when I first met them, he was always the smartest person in the room and she, in her quiet, unassuming way, was the nicest and best looking. Come to think of it, she still is.

Mr. Oldie and I are backing different presidential candidates. Yesterday at breakfast I asked him why he felt the way he did. He gave me a very thoughtful, reasonable response. (I don't agree with him but he made sense.)

And, yes, he had his 3 eggs fried in butter delivered to our table by the cook.

I hope Mrs. Oldie has a good birthday week - and many, many more.


***