Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fashion Statement

This morning I had my annual physical. No big whoop!

But since I didn't have breakfast prior to blood work, I stopped at the service station next to the medical office afterwards for coffee and an oatmeal cookie. I sat in my car to eat them because it was freezing in the station - and I could listen to classical music on NPR.

So next to me pulls up this car with two young African American men inside. I was totally fascinated by their wardrobe when they got out of the car. Really decked out from top to bottom. But what I noticed most was their pants. One guy's belt was literally wrapped under his bottom. His bottom was covered by bright red underwear (I guess.) Walking into the store seemed to be quite an engineering feat.

Several counties in Florida, and other states now have "baggy pants" laws so that you can actually get arrested for wearing this get up.

How did I feel about it? Like I said, I was fascinated. But I wasn't offended. They were totally covered up. I could have been a little jealous because their clothes looked to be more expensive than mine, but otherwise it seemed to be just a fashion statement.

I wanted to lower my window and compliment them on their look but then decided that having an older white woman in an older Camry say that she enjoyed their clothes might not be a compliment they would appreciate.


***