Friday, October 24, 2008

Everybody Hates Greens

I like greens. When I was a kid we picked dandelion greens, cooked and ate them. I know it sounds weird but lots of people did this. We may be getting back to doing this kind of thing if the economy doesn't turn around soon.

Later, when we moved south, I was introduced to mustard greens, turnip greens and kale. I love all of them. Occasionally I'd buy a big bundle of greens, wash and rinse them many times, boil them, then fry them in a bit of bacon grease.

They were delicious - I loved them but I was the only one - so I gave up on them.

In the weeks prior to my boyfriend showing up I went through many magazines in the evenings. I bought (from the library for a dime each) Bon Appetite!, Gourmet, Cooking Lite and others. Even though I rarely cook anymore, I love to look at recipes.

One night I found this dish that looked wonderful and it featured greens. The next night I was with friends and decided I'd have them over after my boyfriend arrived and make this recipe.

But first I thought I'd better feel them out about the "greens" thing. Two of them are from Alabama so I knew they'd love greens.

But nooooo! They didn't.

So we had them over last night and I replaced the greens with fresh spinach. Also made a few other changes (as I always do.) The dish was huge hit - as I thought it would be. It also fulfills my criteria of being a one dish meal that can be prepared ahead of time.

I know lots of people like to stand in the kitchen with their guests. I like to sit in the living room and drink a glass of wine with them and then have the dinner magically appear.

The recipe follows:

Dijon Chicken Stew

Smart Balance Omega Oil
PAM
1/3 lb. fresh ground pork sausage
2 cups sliced leek
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup dry white wine
3 cups chicken broth
1-1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 cups cubed pealed white potatoes
1 10 oz. bag spinach (Or 8 cups mustard greens, Swiss chard or kale)

Spray PAM in a big kettle over medium-high heat. Add crumbled sausage. Cook, breaking up sausage into tiny pieces until almost brown. Add leek. Saute until soft. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Spoon mixture into large bowl.

Place flour in a shallow bowl. Dredge chicken in flour, salt and pepper, shaking off excess. Heat small amount of oil in pan over medium high heat. Add half of chicken mixture to pan. Cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Add browned chicken to leek mixture. Repeat with remaining chicken.

Add wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Combine 1 cups broth and 1 tablespoon flour, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add broth mixture, remaining 2 cups broth, 1-/2 cups water and mustard to pan. Bring to a boil and cook until 1/3 reduced and smooth.

Transfer sauce to a crock pot that has been sprayed with PAM. Add chicken mixture and potatoes. Cook on high for 4 hours or until potatoes are done.

While you're waiting, clean up the kitchen and take a nap.

Just before serving stir in the spinach. (If using greens, add after two hours.)

Serve in fancy bowels with biscuits.


***