Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Love in the Time of Flu Shots

When I was having my annual physical this morning my doctor told me about three times that she wanted to give me a flu shoot. Each time I told her, no, I've signed up to have one tomorrow at my church.

My doctor is an excellent diagnostician, is thorough and bossy. I like that. She has absolutely no time for small talk. I don't really mind that but sometimes I like to make her laugh.

The third time she mentioned the flu shot I replied by saying:

"My boyfriend's flying in tonight and we're going to do something very romantic tomorrow."

At that she broke her "no small talk" rule.

She said "Oh?"

"Yes, we're going to get flu shots together."

She allowed as how, yes, that was romantic - and she stopped bugging me about getting one today.


***