Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Start by Saying Hello

I used to lead small groups. I used to teach others how to lead small groups. It's not rocket science.

I did it in all kinds of business situations, in museums, at the Space Center, in churches.

It's interesting that Randy Pausch, who wrote "The Last Lecture" - and was a computer scientist - also thought that leading small groups was important - even though some of his students found his tips to be beneath them.

But here's one of the reasons it's so important - if it's done right:

The truth emerges from the group - not the leader.

So how do we get the group comfortable enough to do this? Here are Randy's points. I like them, of course, because it's what I did as well.

- Meet People Properly: I'm amazed at how many meetings I (still) attend where people don't get introduced.

- Find Things You Have in Common: I usually try to make this happen by initially asking each person in the group a very simple, easy to answer, question that relates to what we're about.

- Try For Optimal Meeting Conditions: Have people face each other. Make sure the temperature is right, give them something to eat or drink. Make them comfortable.

- Let Everyone Talk: I find the best way to get that accomplished is the simple question at the beginning. It primes the pump. I've attended many small groups (less that a dozen people) where half the people never spoke.

- Praise Each Other: This starts with the leader genuinely praising the ideas of others.

- Phrase Alternatives as Questions: Instead of "I think "A," try "What do you think of "A?"

Although I'm basically kind of a shy person (honestly) I find that when I'm part of a small group where I feel safe and valued, especially by the leader, it's sometimes hard to shut me up.


***