Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Old Movie Theaters


When I was a kid growing up in Indianapolis I saw lots of movies, usually in the two neighborhood theaters that were within walking distance (about two miles either way.) But, occasionally we climbed on the trolley and went to one of the five downtown theaters. What a treat. They were architectural marvels - as grand as opera houses.

I distinctly remember my older sister taking me downtown to see the movie Three Little Words staring Fred Astaire, Red Skelton, Vera-Ellen (the world's smallest waist) and Arlene Dahl. It was 1950, when the downtown theaters were in their heyday. I could not have been any more impressed if I'd been in Buckingham Palace.

This month's Indianapolis Monthly magazine features one of these theaters. The Indiana is now a repertory theatre but it started out in 1927 as one of the great downtown movie theaters - with an upstairs ballroom for dancing. The building was designed by Preston Rubush and Edgar Hunter. They also designed the Circle Theater. The last movie I saw at the Circle was Psycho. I remember being scared to death.

The Indiana has retained the same facade with its urn of pomgranates at its crown and medallions of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain, among other fancy things - including a working sundial.

If you're ever in Indianapolis, first drive around the Circle, then take a look at the Indiana Theatre.


***