Monday, September 8, 2008

It's Bigger Than the Both of Us

OK, I miss my boyfriend. I came home to Florida early - mostly for family reasons and he's staying up North a little longer - for family reasons.

So it's a good thing.

Last night I watched "Casablanca" on PBS. It's probably the fourth time I've seen it all the way through. I loved every minute - every line. The first time, Humphrey Bogart's character, "Rick," seemed cynical and self serving. But on later viewings I realized that he has a self sacrificing moral compass all the way through.

The movie is a reminder that "putting others first" is difficult in this scary world but that's a choice all of us get the opportunity to make from time to time.

So the next time I talk to my Boyfriend I'm going to say:

I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of two little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world...Now, now... Here's looking at you kid.



***