Friday, September 26, 2008

Farmer Cess

I had just enough of farm living when I was a child to know that I wanted nothing whatsoever to do with it ever again.

I appreciate farmers. I'm not one.

But some friends have banded together for a little community farming project and I agreed to be a tiny part of it. I've been to the garden twice. I'm thrilled with the okra. It's ripe and ready for picking. I've never seen okra on the vine before.

On Wednesday when I saw my friend and fellow farmer she shared five stalks of okra with me that she'd stopped to pick on the way to our meeting.

What do you do with five stalks of okra?

Last night I cut them up, fried up the little bite size pieces in some Smart Balance Omega oil, added salt and drained them on a paper towel.

Then I sat on the couch, watched CNN with the crazy Washington stuff going on and snacked on my fried okra and iced tea.

It was yummy - and a very satisfying feeling having seen the okra go all the way from the vine to my mouth.


***