Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Butterfly Stole


Most Methodist ministers wear liturgical stoles over their robes. They're usually symbolic of the liturgical season.

Many years ago a friend made my husband several liturgical stoles. They're silk, hand sewn works of art. Our family's favorite is the butterfly stole. Butterflies are a symbol of new life.

Last week my tenth and newest and LAST grandchild was baptized in another city. I couldn't be there. But I mailed my daughter the butterfly stole.

She was hoping their new minister would wear it. I had my doubts. It's old and hand made, not a professional stole. Besides that, it took ten days to get there and it arrived only the night before the baptism date.

They belong to a huge, wealthy sophisticated, downtown church. After the ritual the minister carries the babies all the way down the long center aisle as a way for people to celebrate this "new life."

Despite the fact that my daughter can talk anybody into anything, I didn't believe he would wear the stole.

And he didn't.

At the end of the baptism ceremony he lifted our baby up before the congregation and carried her down the aisle, with her deceased grandfather's silk butterfly stole draped around HER!

The stole is a symbol of new life. She is a symbol of new life. Hers and ours.


***