Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mexican Standoff

Today I happened upon my Oldies in one of their favorite restaurants very close to their home. I was meeting a friend for a late lunch.

Mr. Oldie was late for a doctor's appointment. Despite the fact that he'd been there several times before, he was stressed. He didn't know how to get there. He was pouring over a map and a page of directions. I know he wanted me to help him.

I tried to assist him with the map. My friend arrived and tried as well but he wasn't getting it. So what did I do? I hugged my Oldies and urged my friend to head to our own table - leaving him (and Mrs. Oldie) obviously upset.

But here's the thing. He doesn't have to drive. He has a nurse on call. He has friends and family who are waiting in the wings to help. He has the resources to be lovingly cared for - and to be driven wherever they want to go. All he has to do is ask.

But he's not ready to say "uncle."

And, even though I love my Oldies, I'm not ready to play the game where I pretend he's in charge but I take care of them. I've already done that. I'm not their caretaker. I'm their friend.

And besides, the doctor's office was three blocks away (and I think she knows how to get there.)

I hope they made it.


***