Thursday, September 18, 2008

H - E - Double Toothpicks

Do you believe in hell? If you worked on Wall Street this week I guess you might.

A few people have a clear idea of what hell is like - and they know who they'd like to send there. But most of us have only small clues, many of them from the Bible but more, I think, from folklore.

I just finished a very strange James Patterson novel called "You've Been Warned." It's about a young woman living in New York. Hard to make sense of what's happening to her - but in the end (sorry to spoil it for you) the reader learns that the woman is dead. This is Patterson's idea of hell.

Oddly, she has some pleasant experiences along with the rats, cockroaches, vomiting, etc.

I'm currently in a study group with several smart, open, people. In a week or so we'll discuss the concept of hell. I'm looking forward to the discussion. Especially the discussion of how the decision making process goes regarding who's in and who's out.

I'm sure I'll learn something.


***