Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What If You Were a Little Kid and Had No Place to Go?

Let the little children come to me. Jesus
When you've done it for the least of these you've done it for me.  Jesus 

Yesterday Dave and I went to a luncheon at the Florida United Methodist Children's Home.  It's a wonderful place and very beautiful.  I worked there many years ago.  It was a good place then but even better now. 

I know tons of stories about kids who've had their lives changed at the Children's Home. 

I wish, that, when my little brother and I were growing up, we'd been at the Children's Home.

Here are three new groups the Home is now helping: 

  • A beautiful cottage for girls who have babies or are pregnant.  I want to call them little girls because a 13 year old, to me, is a little girl.  Even if she has a baby. 

  • A beautiful cottage for little boys who've been sexually traumatized.

  • A a foster care program for babies.  Couples care for these babies and toddlers in their own homes.  Sometimes the babies arrive badly injured or addicted.

While we were having lunch I also learned that one of the teenagers who was a resident at the Children's Home when I worked there is now running for mayor of Orlando. 

Yikes!  Am I that old? 


***