Friday, November 4, 2011

Time Management

Yesterday my Internet service went kaflooey.  I hate when that happens.  After trying everything I called my Internet provider. 

Another hour of fooling around. 

Upshot was that we couldn't fix it over the phone so a service call was necessary. 

"Will you be available tomorrow?"

"What time tomorrow?"

"All day."

Today's paper has an article titled "Hours spent cooling heels for cable guy cost us billions."  It says Americans waste an average of  4 1/2 hours per year waiting for repair people.

When I was a consultant one of my most popular seminars was on "Time Management."  It was not all about time being money - it was about time being your life - and how you want to spend it.

It used to be - like for all of history until about 50 years ago - that women primarily waited.  They waited for their men to come home from the war, from the golf course, etc.  Now it's a more even playing field. We all waste time waiting. 

Some might say that older, retired folks (like me) have the time to wait.  I say we have less time.  After you've hit a certain age - every minute counts.

With the invention of this new communication device called cell phones - there's no practical reason for people to stay home all day waiting for a repair person.

Yesterday I explained - in a nice way, of course - some of the above to the Internet guy.  Within 15 minutes after we hung up he had the problem fixed.

***