Sunday, November 13, 2011

Forgiveness

This morning, in my Forum Class, two people I love and respect led a discussion on forgiveness using a book called "Amish Grace."  It's about the tragedy a few years ago when those little school girls were gunned down in their little schoolhouse by a mad man.  But it's primarily about the totally loving and forgiving response of the Amish community.

In general, we had a wonderful discussion.  To me it veered off a wee bit by getting into talks about Penn State, 9/11 and so on.  But I know part of that's just me.  I always think the topic should be internalized and not about what "those people" should have done.  In Forum, it's about us at what we are called to do and be as followers of the teachings of Christ.

Not what we would like to do and be in our time of pain and suffering caused by others - but what we are called to do and be.

Our leaders did a wonderful job of presenting this concept:

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive us who trespass against us. This is what the Amish children are taught from day one.

Of course there are always those around who say - sometimes in a variety of ways - "Well, what would you do if someone profoundly hurt your child?"

People have hurt my children just as people have hurt your children.  And it always hurts us as well (Sometimes even more than it hurts them.)  And then a couple of years ago someone physically and emotionally and permanently hurt my child. In a profound way.  With a gun.

This morning we needed at least another hour to discuss the meaning of forgiveness.  One thing I know, it doesn't come from weakness.  It comes from profound strength.


***