Saturday, November 26, 2011

Higher Ed

Dave and I both are involved in helping to provide educations for college students who can't foot the bill.  That includes most students these days.  Recently, we were talking about the percentage of young adults who go straight from high school to college - and graduate in four years.

Dave thought the number was high.  I didn't.

 But I can understand his premise.  His kids went straight from high school to collage and graduated in four yeas.  Mine did as well.

  But I know that's not the norm. I recently read some statistics saying that 50 percent of kids from wealthy homes ($87,000 or more) got their degrees in four years - but only 9 percent of low income ($26,000 or more) students graduated. 

These stats are scary for our country but we can all understand the reasons for this disparity.  I went to college first at night after working a nine hour day and then, years later after working, caring for my kids and husband, volunteering in my church, and getting three meals on the table.  In other words, it was a luxury after everything else was done.

My kids had it easier.  But not much. 

I can't image how fantastic it would be to get a free ride to a bachelor's degree or higher without having to be concerned about other, sometimes crushing, responsibilities.

Sounds like heaven to me.


***