Saturday, September 17, 2011

What Ever Happened to My Oldies?

People ask me from time to time for an update on the Oldies.  This is a couple I've seen at least once a week for the past 25 years or so.  That is, up until things started to go downhill for them a while back.

He's 90.  She's 91.  As I've told you before, he was one of the most brilliant, exciting, fun men I've ever known.  He was a neighbor and acquaintance of Andy Rooney at one time.  He and Andy had that sense of humor/curmudgeon thing in common.

We visited them this morning in their fancy assisted living digs.  They were both in bed.  But, sweetly, in the same bed.  A caregiver was with them.  She's there several hours a day.

My Oldies are on the kind of high end scale of elderly adults needing assistance.  They have the means and family support to help them through this end stage.

But it's not pretty.  She was in pain and when she's in pain he's beside himself. 

We used to spend hours at a time together.  Now fifteen minutes is about all they need and about all I can take.


***